80 Series Snorkel

The following page shows the installation steps for the Safari Snorkel (old style) - with some updated info for the new style.

The snorkel is a nice addition to provide cleaner air to the engine - it also looks good ;-)

The 'great snorkel' installation started with 5 guys doing a group buy - we installed two on a Saturday afternoon and three on the Sunday afternoon (with the rain gods actively hindering us).

The following is a picture of the installed snorkel - black certainly looks good against the definitive white body!

Some basic tips after 5 installations worth of experience:

The guinea pig for the first big hole was Amando's 80. I was happy to volunteer to drill the hole - I was next up... The left picture shows the progress - I was tentative at first - the others were pretty well drilled in one shot. Note the masking tape and cardboard - I had been informed that if the hole saw kicks back it tends to go for the flare. The right picture shows the finished damage - a perfect hole. For the new style snorkel the center hole (seen below) will be about 3/4" lower - i.e. it is below the crease in the fender.

Phil looks happy drilling into Amando's 80 - what a sick man! I didn't notice him smiling when he was drilling into his though ;-)

The next picture is Amando showing happiness that all the damage to his 80 is now complete - note he is sitting, i.e. he is taller than 4'. Notice his 'modified' ARB roobar - the jury is still out regarding the thought process that was required to come to the decision to hack off the top part.

A similar set of holes drilled into my 80 after application of touch up paint.

The complete set of fender holes in my 80. Looks very nice - no huge gouges into the side of the fender!

Sunday saw the drilling of the remaining three 80's. Manuel's was the first one on the block - he is assessing how well I drilled his hole. At this point I am considered the 'master' driller for the big hole - the odds are now in my favour that I may know what I'm doing ;-)

Step drill works really well for opening out the stud holes - no risk of any sheet metal distortion. A step drill is the correct way to drill bigger holes in thin metal. We drilled 1/8" pilot holes first and then used the step drill to open them up. Notice Manuel wearing his high performance safety goggles ;-)

Left picture shows me heating the area that requires to be pressed in to fit the USPS antenna. The right picture shows the wrong way - the last snorkel and Phil manages to melt a small hole into it - epoxy resin to the rescue... Manuel looks on with relief knowing that his is already installed ;-) This step is not required for the new style snorkel since Safari has changed the design to totally clear the US antenna.

Did I mention it was wet on Sunday? A large tarp came to the rescue and allowed us to continue working. Though it doesn't appear that we actually are doing any work...

David drilling the pilot hole into his 80 in preparation for the 'master' ;-) 

Time for David's 80 - I'm getting good at this now. Of course the odds of me screwing up are also increasing... But my luck continued and another perfect hole was drilled. 

The installed 10x32 Rivnuts in my pillar. Definitely better than Safari's little plastic squares. We did manage to break a part of the installation tool when doing Amando's (he broke it!) - but fortunately Phil had an alternative tool that we then used to do the rest.

A picture of the pillar bracket. We used 10x32 1/2" long black plated hex drive screws. We drilled out the original holes in the bracket to the correct diameter and then ran a countersinking bit to prep the holes.